If you’ve been looking for a way to give back this holiday season, become a Future City mentor for a school in your community. 10 Future City Philadelphia teams still need mentors, and the students could really use your support in the final days leading up to the regional competition. Students must prepare a model of an “Age-Friendly City” to present in front of a panel of judges on Saturday, January 20, 2018.
As a planner, you can provide meaningful feedback and assistance as the students creatively tackle this topic.
The following 10 middle schools need mentors:
- Eisenhower – Norristown
- Keith Valley – Horsham
- Mother Teresa – King of Prussia
- Murray Avenue – Huntingdon Valley
- St Albert the Great – Huntingdon Valley
- St Elizabeth – Uwchlan
- Helena – Blue Bell
- Ignatius – Yardley
- WCPA Homeschool Group – Pleasant Mount
- Windsor Christian Academy – Uwchlan
Sign up to mentor one of these teams here.
Check out our latest post for a refresher on the Philadelphia Regional Future City Competition.
CM Credits for Pro Bono Planning Service
AICP members can obtain up to eight CM Credits for Pro Bono Planning Service, as outlined on the APA National website at https://www.planning.org/cm/logging/selfreport/probono
APA Future City Mentorship could relate to these allowed activities:
- Planning-related support to groups that lack adequate planning resources, including service that expands choices and opportunities for everyone.
- Planning to meet the needs of the disadvantaged and to promote racial and economic integration.
- Mentoring the development of students, interns, beginning professionals, colleagues, and members of underrepresented groups to help them advance in the planning profession.